Monday, April 19, 2010

Naughty w/Occasional Niceness

Not known for my keen wit, I have a tendency to make what I believe are humorous comments that my audience either does not understand or finds totally unfunny. An example of this would be from a handful of years ago when I worked with a Developmentally Disabled woman in North Jersey who was known as the sweetest thing since huckleberry pie. Her name? Joy. Well, one summer afternoon we had to have everyone connected with her case over to the house. Case workers, case manager, staff members, et cetera. When they all arrived, Joy was freaking out a little because there were just too many people in one small space. Her coping mechanism? To ask, "Lisa, dya have a cigarette?" This question was followed by total silence. However, I know that she liked standing outside with me when I had a smoke, so off we went. Afterwards, Joy calmed down and we went in to the meeting. Once things got started Phil, her case manager wanted to know who the new senior was and one of the other case workers said, "The one with purple hair. Her name is Lisa Starberg." Huh?? "I corrected her and said, "Actually it's Lisa Star. I'm Irish, not Jewish. An Irish-Jew, imagine that. Not only will I blow up your car, but I'll bitch about the price of C-4 while I'm at it." More stunned silence. Fortunately Maureen and Joy busted out laughing because they were the only Jews present. The rest of the room was just a bunch of tight asses who couldn't squeeze a laugh out of a bag o' Chuckles candy.

1 comment:

Cheeks DaBelly said...

That's cause they were gigantic poopie-heads who wouldn't know comedy if it walked up to them and introduced itself and then farted in their general direction.

Where Youse At?