Saturday, February 27, 2010

Our Love of The OC


Back in 2006 I stopped over my parents house to find them watching the Tijuana episode from season 1 of The OC. Stupefied by this sight, I asked why the hell they were watching a lame TV show designed for kids. "Your brothers recommended it to us," my mother said, "We really like it. Seth is my favourite." Astonishing.
The next time I saw my brothers I questioned their motives for watching the series and they convinced me to Netflix season one. I did and instantly fell in love. Then I saw season two and fell completely out of love. But season one still holds a special place in my little heart.
In 2008 Marina overheard Xavier and myself referencing something and she inquired as to what. We replied, "THE OC!" She, like I did once, scoffed and snickered at the very idea that we would watch such drivel. Then she saw season one.
Anyway, Marina is now in VT visiting with her sister, who is also a fan of the show. I spoke to Marina this morning and she is officially caught up on every episode of the series. She was telling me of the season where - spoiler - Marisa dies. I burst out laughing when she actually spoke the words, "Ryan moved out and is living behind a bar earning money as a cage fighter." Once the words left her mouth she immediately saw the absurdity. Then it dawned on me. Benjamin McKenzie shirtless, sweating, bloody...and incredibly hot. That's the allure of The OC. That and Sandy Cohen, awesome music, Anna Stern's wardrobe, and Summer Roberts in a Wonder Woman costume.

2 comments:

Cerpts said...

That's it. Give me back JOHNNY GUITAR.

Star said...

NOOOOO NEVER!! seriously, i know i take a lot of shit for liking the show, but honestly, the first season is like a soap opera. and i got hooked big time!

Where Youse At?